Sunday, April 27, 2008

Twilight Criterium, Part Two

After spending the afternoon at home yesterday, we headed back out to see some bicycle races. Our plan was to get downtown before the women's race started at around 7:45pm...we met up with Jay and Terri on our way walking to the racecourse. There was a foot race going on when we finally got there. I don't know how well you can see in the photos, but the guy in last place is wearing a penguin suit. Given how humid and warm it was, and the fact that he was RUNNING in a race, he was probably regretting his decision...

TWILIGHT 0073

TWILIGHT 0074

We tried to get to the starting line before the women's race started, but just missed it by half-a-minute...before we knew it, the race was on and bicycles went speeding by...

TWILIGHT 0075

TWILIGHT 0077

TWILIGHT 0078

We walked around to differnt parts of the looping course, hoping for a better view...

TWILIGHT 0084

TWILIGHT 0081

TWILIGHT 0082

TWILIGHT 0083

TWILIGHT 0088

TWILIGHT 0088

TWILIGHT 0092

We found a perfect spot at one of the corners...the cyclists cut the inside corner fast, making for a more spectacular and exciting vantage point. They sped by just inches from us...

TWILIGHT 0093

(Missy getting some really good shots with her camera)

TWILIGHT 0094

TWILIGHT 0095

TWILIGHT 0098

Here's an example of how dangerous the corners are at the Twilight Criterium in Athens...this video was from a previous race:



We spotted this dude standing behind us, holding hands with two of his (we assume, WE HOPE) daughters...we were thinking, "what kind of dad wears a t-shirt like THAT?"....answer: A CREEPY DAD! I pretended to take a photo of the building behind him. He was none the wiser...

TWILIGHT 0101

TWILIGHT 0101A

After about an hour and many many laps, the women's race was finally over and we decided to make a break for some refreshments. Jay was craving FUNNEL CAKE. Me, I was hoping for CHURROS...there were no churros in sight, so I went ahead and got a big-ass funnel cake too (I mean, they're BASICALLY the same thing, just shaped differently)...we stood in this long line, basking in barbeque smoke...in the meantime, the men's race had started but we had already lost interest, having watched the entire women's race before hand...

TWILIGHT 0106

TWILIGHT 0107

(FREEDOM FRIES? really? still? I wanted to ask them for some "FREE TIBET BARBEQUE"...below, one of the cooks grills up some Mongolian...ahem...I mean, FREE TIBET barbeque)

TWILIGHT 0108

TAH-DAH! After a long wait in line, I finally got our big-ass funnel cake. Was it worth it? Good Lord, YES! Were we able to finish it? Good Lord, NO!

TWILIGHT 0109

After eating, it was decided that it was time to head home...Missy caught a ride home with Jay and Terri, while I stayed behind so I could attend the TWILIGHT DELIRIUM show at THE 40 WATT. Even though I got to the venue early, I paid my way in because I had to pee so so bad! As soon as I got through the doors I made a bee-line to the club's "Pee Pee Lounge":

TWILIGHT 0111

First band on was Knoxville, Tennessee's ROYAL BANGS...if you like bands like Hot Hot Heat, The Shins, Wolf Parade...and heck...I'll even throw in Aquaduct...if you like these bands, then chances are you would enjoy Royal Bangs...I don't know how they are on record (new album drops next month), but live, they are pretty fantastic - I mean, they practically stole the show. Listening to them I kept thinking that their music sounded familiar, like I had heard their songs before. I thought that maybe it was because they reminded me of some of the other bands that I liked. But then I remembered...FOLKLORE had played a show with them in Athens last year. I was one of maybe 7 people who stuck around to watch them...I thought they were really good back then, but a year of playing shows and touring really really improved their overall show...

TWILIGHT 0112

After the Royal Bangs, new KINDERCORE RECORDS band THE BUDDY SYSTEM took to the stage...it took them a while to set up the visual component of their show (which probably accounted for about 75% of their "show"), but in the end it was worth it. The band (which includes Kindercore head-honcho RYAN LEWIS on guitar) played mostly instrumental accompaniments to the visual images popping up on the various screens surrounding them. Like GANGPOL & MIT and to a lesser extent, FRIENDS WITH YOU and SHOBOSHOBO, THE BUDDY SYSTEM seem to be a part of that new band scene primarily made up of graphic designers - where visual design often plays an almost more integral role than the music itself...anyways, I thoroughly enjoyed their set. The cuteness factor was overwhelming. I had been wanting to see them peform for a while now, but never really had a chance until now:

TWILIGHT 0114

TWILIGHT 0115

TWILIGHT 0117

Cat butts! In Stereo!

TWILIGHT 0118

TWILIGHT 0119

During the Buddy System song "Return to Horse Mountain", the young couple on the screen had to fight off devil-worshipping horses and unicorns...AWESOME:

TWILIGHT 0120

TWILIGHT 0122

Unfortunately, my camera ran out of batteries during The Buddy System's set. I didn't get to take any photos during JE SUIS FRANCE - who were celebrating 10 YEARS of hosting the TWILIGHT DELIRIUM show. Quite an accomplishment, considering that many of their members are now living in other parts of the country. Highlights included their opening song, which was the theme from "GOLDEN GIRLS"...and then a couple of audience members holding up a large poster of SHAQUILLE O'NEAL during one of the band's songs. The band were so excited about the poster and got everyone in the club to chant "SHAQ, SHAQ, SHAQ, SHAQ..." (apparently, some sort of inside joke between the band and their friends)...I was only able to stay for five of their songs before jet lag (STILL!) started to get the best of me...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what if the creepy dad is one of those parents who tells people, "i don't want to just be her father, i want to be my daughter's best friend."

whole new vistas of skeeviness open up.

nice pictures.

RANCHO COCOA said...

Dude! You just kicked the "creepy level" up several notches...gah...kudos to you!