Sunday, May 18, 2008

Jimmy Carter says YES!

BISHOP 7252

Saturday was A FULL DAY...we wanted to get up early to go to the inaugural FARMER'S MARKET at BISHOP PARK, which is down the street from our house...but, we ended up sleeping-in and didn't get to the park until almost noon. By the time we got there, all the produce was gone. According to one of the volunteers working the market, about 1000 eager people showed up at 8am, and by 9am, all the produce was bought up! We walked around and looked at some of the booths and promised ourselves that next Saturday, we'd get to the market early and get some fresh, locally grown vegetables:

BISHOP 7255

BISHOP 7245

All that was left, produce-wise, were some spice plants:

BISHOP 7246

BISHOP 7248

Homemade soap that looks good enough to eat:

BISHOP 7249

"Locals only" propaganda:

BISHOP 7250

BISHOP 7253

Disappointed, we left Bishop Park and headed to THE GRIT for brunch. On the way there, Missy made some "power moves" on her phone...

BISHOP 7260

...then, Missy made a "to-do" list while we waited for our grub:

GRIT 7264

GRIT 7272

GRIT 7273

GRIT 7280

The waitress asked us if we wanted dessert and we told her we were "curious" about the choco taco. She straight up told us that she wouldn't recommend it! We ordered it anyways, because it only cost a buck. It was "just ok":

GRIT 7285

On our way home from brunch, we stopped at NORMAL HARDWARE in Normal Town to see if they had old-timey push lawnmowers. They did, but they were a little out of my target price range:

NORMAL TOWN 7291

We went across the street and looked at scooters at RE-CYCLE...we were tempted by the $50-a-month financing on a couple of cute scooters. We also visited NOURISH, a new boutique that opened a couple of doors down from Re-Cycle...and then grabbed a couple of cokes at the BLACK FOREST BAKERY...

NORMAL TOWN 7294

We stopped at home just long enough for Missy to get some of her orders together...then, it was off to the post office. We used the after-hours robot-machine to process the packages:

POST OFFICE 7295

After the post office, it was off to the GEORGIA SQUARE MALL. We planned on meeting Blake, Sara, and Betsy in the food court, before heading out to the black-top CARNIVAL that sprang up in the mall parking lot. As we approached the midway, it was as if we had discovered a brand new world...

CARNIVAL 7298

We saw this crazy-ass hang glider ride that you rode while laying on your stomach...

CARNIVAL 7300

CARNIVAL 7301

...and this three-story fun house with all this funny artwork all over it...

CARNIVAL 7305

CARNIVIAL 7308

CARNIVAL 7310

CARNIVAL 7313

We saw this carney in the midway taking a nap in this office chair...

CARNIVAL 7316

...and this kiddie ride with this very nervous-looking bird and very nervous-looking catepillar...

CARNIVAL 7323

CARNIVAL 7325

CARNIVAL 7326

Missy and I had flashbacks about CHINA when we saw this ride:

CARNIVAL 7330

CARNIVAL 7339

Missy practiced her TORI AMOS impression:

CARNIVAL 7343

CARNIVAL 7347

OMG...I think I've got a new calling:

CARNIVAL 7352

CARNIVAL 7353

After scoping everything out, we decided to warm-up with the ferris wheel:

CARNIVAL 7355

CARNIVAL 7379

CARNIVAL 7382

CARNIVAL 7372

CARNIVAL 7373

CARNIVAL 7384

Our attempt at shooting a cute self-portrait failed miserably:

CARNIVAL 7393

After the ferris wheel ride, Missy suggested that we ride the merry-go-round...we ended up on the TILT-A-WHIRL instead. Missy and I shared a "booth" with Betsy, and we were able to get it whipping like mad...

CARNIVAL 7411

CARNIVAL 7418

CARNIVAL 7421

CARNIVAL 7424

Every now and then we caught glimpses of Blake and Sara spinning around in their booth...

CARNIVAL 7429

Missy fake-vomited for the camera...

CARNIVAL 7434

After spinning ourselves dizzy on the Tilt-A-Whirl, we decided to go on another spinning ride called the TORNADO...

CARNIVAL 7437

At first, we had Sara and Missy - the two PETITE gals - spin the tornado while I took pictures and Blake hung on to his stomach for dear life...

CARNIVAL 7439

CARNIVAL 7441

CARNIVAL 7440

CARNIVAL 7443

CARNIVAL 7444

After Missy and Sara's arms wore out, the guys took over...

CARNIVAL 7445

The first minute-and-a-half of the Tornado was pure fun...we were spinning in one direction while the ride spun in another - we were basically a giant gyroscope and our insides were pulled every which way...but then, the worst thing happened...I TOTALLY got MOTION SICKNESS in the worst possible way! I NEVER get sick on rides...but, I thought that I was going to barf on myself for sure...I begged everyone to stop spinning the ride. We were able to get our compartment to stop spinning, but the ride itself kept going for another good thirty seconds. I held my mouth with my hand, hoping that I could at least hold things in until the ride stopped and I could get to a trash can. When we got off, my legs felt like jelly and I broke out in a cold sweat. Instead of vomiting into a trashcan and embarrassing myself, I took some deep breaths and tried to regain my composure. We walked around some more, to get the jellies out of our legs, but I just started to feel worse than ever. I really started to regret having an M&M BLIZZARD and COCA-COLA in the food court of the mall, just before heading out to the carnival...doh! My bad. I felt so sick - I asked Missy to drive my car for me and take us home...earlier that evening, we stopped at THE GAP and Missy bought a pair of pants before we met everyone in the food court...well, when we got to the car, I took Missy's new pants out of the bag and told her that I would hold on to the empty bag "just in case"...as soon as we got home, I crawled into bed and napped for about an hour. I had never ever got motion sickness that bad before...and amazingly, I didn't throw up!

When I got up, I felt like a new man! The nauseous feelings and dizziness went away, and I even got my appetite back! Around that same time, Sara called Missy to see if I was OK. I was more than happy to report that I was indeed OK. After Sara called, we had Jay on the phone...he invited us over to his and Terri's place to watch this awesome documentary called OFF THE CHARTS. The movie explored the strange-but-true "SONG-POEM" industry/subculture...it's kinda hard to boil down the essence of the movie in a nutshell...so just do yourself a favor and rent it, buy it, put it on your Netflix, whatever...just SEE THE MOVIE if you ever get the chance. It's totally worth it, especially if you are a songwriter and/or a musician, or have a twisted sense of humor and/or a fascination for the off-beat...here's a couple little samples:





One of the "extras" on the dvd was this made-for-public-access-cable-television "variety show" called AMERICA SINGS. Clearly filmed sometime in the 80's, the show featured several no-name talents performing songs written by no-talent no-names...it was one of those "it's so bad it's good" moments...the perfect way to cap off a long and crazy day...

OFF THE CHARTS 7449

OFF THE CHARTS 7450

OFF THE CHARTS 7457

OFF THE CHARTS 7458

OFF THE CHARTS 7461

(Thanks Blake, Sara, and Betsy for fun times at the carnival, even though I got sick - totally my own fault! I know now that BLIZZARDS and TORNADOS don't mix! And THANKS, Jay and Terri, for introducing me and Missy to the magic of "Off The Charts"...yay!)

4 comments:

April Moore Skelton said...

Sorry you got sick, Raoul! Hey, I have to tell you guys that me and my husband met Debra (or Deborah) formerly of b+B while on vacation last week at Tybee Island! She was the absolute sweetest lady and she said to tell Missy and you hello. She works for the bed and breakfast we stayed at and made us some delicious muffins and eggs. Totally cute lady and totally small world.

RANCHO COCOA said...

NOOOOOOOO WAAAAAAAY! You know, I took over Debra's old job! That is CRAZY! We need to know what bed & breakfast you stayed at so that we may go there and hopefully run into Debra...and have some delicious muffins and eggs! Small world indeed...you just blew our minds...

Sara T. said...

longest photo & video blog...ever!! awesome photos though!

RANCHO COCOA said...

It was truly a LONG day for me and Missy! My favorite photo is the one of Blake gritting his teeth on the Tornado...