Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Goin' Back To Cali

SOCAL 3697

SOCAL 3698

Last Thursday I flew back to RIVERSIDE, CALIFORNIA, to visit my family, visit some old friends, and to reacquaint myself with some of the personal belongings I left behind...my brother-in-law, SHAWN, picked me up from JOHN WAYNE AIRPORT, out in Orange County. On the way to my parents' house - the DE LA CRUZ HOMESTEAD - we stopped by the house that he and my sister own. He told me about the vegetable garden he was growing in their backyard and I wanted to see it, since Missy and I aspire to do the same thing in our own backyard. The squash leaves were huge:

SOCAL 3673

Some sun-loving succulents:

SOCAL 3674

Back at home, we admired the other-worldly succulents growing in my parents yard, as my niece and nephew, JULIA and EVAN, played around us:

SOCAL 3685

SOCAL 3684

SOCAL 3682

Julia likes to emulate Missy on the trapeze...if only she lived in Athens, she could take classes at CANOPY, just like Missy:

SOCAL 3688

SOCAL 3687

Julia and Evan's little sister, LILLIAN, was too young to play on the jungle gym, so she spent the time drooling and spitting up:

SOCAL 3694

My Dad, BENNY, encouraged me to go through the many boxes and boxes of my junk sucking up space in the garage...the plan was to send a bunch of stuff back to Georgia, but in the end, I only sent off a mere fraction of what I had wanted to:

SOCAL 3695

SOCAL 3696

I dug up my STORMTROOPER and BOBA FETT helmets and decided to give them to Evan and Julia, rather than spending the money to send them home to Athens:

SOCAL 3700

On Saturday we got up early and took the kids to their acrobatics class:

SOCAL 3745

From our second-story vantage point, we watched Evan and Julia practice tumbling, jumping, and swinging:

SOCAL 3705

SOCAL 3717

SOCAL 3740

SOCAL 3734

Afterwards, we headed out to CITRUS PARK to attend a high school reunion for RUBIDOUX HIGH SCHOOL's marching band, the DELTA ALLIANCE CORPS (D.A.C.)...my two sisters and I were all in band, as well as my brother-in-law and his three sisters...so, it was kind of a big deal. We saw a lot of old band mates and friends that we have not seen in a long-ass time, often times, not since high school...

SOCAL 3771

SOCAL 3756

SOCAL 3761

My parents' PHOTO ALBUMS documenting the early years of the Delta Alliance Corps were a big hit...people were taking pictures of their pictures:

SOCAL 3759

TANYA and BRAD, who both graduated my year, were busy catching up. Both Brad and I flew out from Georgia, and were probably the two people who came the farthest to the reunion (actually, I came the farthest, since Athens is more northeast of where Brad lives)...until a couple of weeks ago, I had no idea that he too had moved to Georgia and had been living here for several years:

SOCAL 3758

Some of the BAND BOOSTERS posed for a group picture...my Mom, RUTH, was in the front row, all the way to the left:

SOCAL 3762

SOCAL 3764

We closed the reunion with an OLD TIMERS vs. FRESH MEAT football game...the old timers were victorious in the end, but at what cost? I'm sure the next day they all had to bust out the Icy Hot and Ben Gay...

SOCAL 3767

Back at my sister's house, the kids, totally exhausted from the long day, finally settled down in their bedrooms:

SOCAL 3779

SOCAL 3773

SOCAL 3777

SOCAL 3776

SOCAL 3775

SOCAL 3774

SOCAL 4026

SOCAL 4024

No comments: