Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Tunesday Tuesday: Kathleen Hanna

Tunesday Tuesday: Kathleen Hanna
First off, I will say that I have been a fan of KATHLEEN HANNA of the band BIKINI KILL for a long time. Probably over half my life! I first read about Kathleen Hanna and Bikini Kill in Sassy Magazine and then found their music on the KILL ROCK STARS record label. I got their Peel Sessions 7" and I remember first listening to it on a junky record player that I got at a yard sale. My pen pal Mary Anne in New York City used to go see Bikini Kill and write to me about the experience. I was in awe. We recently had the chance to see Kathleen DJ the masquarade ball at the HIGH MUSEUM OF ART in Atlanta the weekend before Halloween. It was so awesome to see her DJ and dance with everyone in the crowd. Needless to say, I am still excited about this event, even though it was almost two weeks ago!

Kathleen Hanna at the High Museum 0094

Kathleen Hanna at the High Museum 0097

Kathleen Hanna at the High Museum 0146

Kathleen Hanna at the High Museum 0211
After a few songs and some dancing around her laptop, she shimmied her way into the crowd! She danced right in front of us! We were so thrilled.

Kathleen Hanna at the High Museum 0200
I love seeing all the costumes from that night - everyone is dancing!

Kathleen Hanna at the High Museum 199
I was dancing so much, too, so all my pictures that I took are dancing, too.

Kathleen Hanna at the High Museum 0195

Kathleen Hanna at the High Museum 0190

Kathleen Hanna at the High Museum 0187
Oh my - I love this photo of her, but please do not look at the creepy baby costume behind her! I should have Photoshopped that thing out, but I decided to leave it. Scary!!

I am still scared by that costume!!

Kathleen Hanna at the High Museum 0215

Kathleen Hanna at the High Museum 0213
So she DJ-ed late into the night - I think she played longer than the museum wanted to allow. They finally forced her to end her set even though everyone didn't want the night to end...it is just a museum afterall!

I am telling Kathleen Hanna how I was the only girl in my high school to listen to Bikini Kill.
Then, after the show I got to talk to her. I told her I was the only girl in my high school that listened to Bikini Kill! And I am pretty sure I was (except for people I made mix tapes for). She is a hero of mine, so it felt good to let her know this. I gave her one of the charm necklaces I made and then Raoul took our photo.

Me and kathleen Hanna!!!

Now let's watch some Kathleen TV. Here she is discussing zines versus blogs.



Here is a talk I saw that had some neat riot grrrl and zine history, er, herstory...

No comments: